By simple explanation, self worth or self esteem is an overall measure of how much we value ourselves and and give priority to our own needs and happiness. Our self worth is a measure of our unconditional self love. It is the ability to look upon yourself as having value.
The two main attributes of self worth are security and Significance. Security means, in this context, being loved and accepted just for who you are, regardless of what you do. Significance on the other hand, is having meaning or purpose in life and being adequate for what to do. But low self worth could emerge from false-culture, our upbringing, educational background or system, society and social settings, colour , race, religious background etc
Low self -worth makes you your own enemy or better still, makes you appreciate others ‘more’ and yourself ‘ less’. It could bring about insecurity, depression, regrets, envy, jealousy and criminal mindset and many more.
The thought of ‘if only I was taller’ for those that are ‘short’, if only I was married, for the’ singles’, if I was prettier for those who think they are not. The list is endless. All these thoughts tend to negate God’s precious promises for our lives. Even when we receive praises the negative voice in our heads rejects it because we think we are being mocked. Low self-worth affects performance and advancement, because one is being confined within his own thoughts. Low self-worth makes you think little of yourself and your thought of expansion is confined within the walls of your feelings. Low self worth can be subdued but self worth builds.
- You need to know whom you are and see your true self. It’s true no one is perfect, all you have to do is to see the best side of yourself and still work on yourself till you become perfect.
- Release yourself from the self confinement placed on yourself and be proud to be who you are . Accept the fact that you are the only one who can change yourself. You are who God has has made you.
- Believe you are created for a purpose. You are made the way you are because you are unique.-
- Don’t look down on yourself because you are’ better’ than ‘someone’. See yourself as the best and work toward being the best. Remember, life is short and you only have one life to live. Appreciate others, cherish your work and improve yourself in the areas of your deficiencies. Live your life to the fullest and don’t let your negative thoughts weigh you down. Many people have tragically chosen to believe what people say as the truth, and disbelieve what they think they truly are. But to achieve and build self worth, you have to ”take it by force”. Self esteem can’t be built in a day, it’s a gradual process, and has to be from within (heart). It’s your feelings you are dealing with; something you so much believe in; it may not be so easy, but it can be attained.
TO DO LIST;
- * Work on yourself daily and carry yourself with dignity.
- * Choose your friends wisely and have good mentors.
- * Be involved in productive activities-come out real
- * Stop living a false life.
- * Don’t imitate wrongly
CONCLUSION- To crown all , you are the only one who can revolutionize your life. You are the architect of your fortune or otherwise. You can influence your happiness, your success and the like . You are the only one who can help yourself. Your life does not change when your boss, friends, parents, partners changes. Your life changes only when you change; when you go beyond the superficial, the ordinary, beyond the limiting obstacles; when you realise that you are the only one responsible for your life.
Take a cue from this-don’t under-estimate or under -value yourself. Making yourself inferior at the expense of the potentials in you is detrimental to you being at your fullest. Remember, you are unique and there is no other one but YOU.